Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Importance of Protein

I love Jordan Rubin's new book "Live Beyond Organic".  It is both inspiring and informative.  When I became a mission marketer I received amazing books and magazines written by him.  I keep them right by my nightstand and read a little before I go to bed each night.  He gets the big picture about diet and health.  I feel like I am his biggest fan, but I am sure that every other member of this team feels exactly the same way.

He talks about the importance of protein in Chapter 4 titled Primary Protein.  He states,"Protein ranks as the most important nutrient that your body needs- even more important than carbohydrates and fats.  If you don't consume enough protein your body will wither and become very weak- so feeble that you wouldn't have the energy to even hold this book to read.  Protein means "of primary importance" or "that which comes first".  They are the essential building blocks of the body, the foundation that the body relies upon to transport oxygen, contract muscles, transport electrons, and replace tissues.  Most muscles, organs, and hormones are comprised of protein.  Since the human body does not store proteins for later use, as it does with carbs and fats, you have to continually replenish the body's stores by consuming various protein- containing foods."
What are the best, most effective sources of protein???
-Organically raised, pasture-fed cattle, sheep, goats, buffalo, and venison
-Pastured poultry and eggs
-Cultured dairy products derived from cow's milk, goat's milk, and sheep's milk 
- Wild caught fish

No comments:

Post a Comment