Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Real Food for Breakfast

I grew up eating cereal.  The boxed kind from the grocery store.  My favorites were Honey Smacks, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Fruity Pebbles.  My mother didn't buy us the organic cereal obviously, and maybe if she tried we were already addicted to the other kinds anyway.  I remember her going through healthy phases and she would buy plain cheerios.  Then we would just take about a 1/2 cup of white sugar and dump it in....it is hard for me to even remember how unhealthy I was for so many years.  On top of the sugary cereal I would not ever drink whole milk.  I would only drink skim milk- yuck and gag! Now it is hard for me to even pass it in the grocery store and no feel queasy.  This is because I am educated on how unhealthy these things are.  I remember being so tired in high school.  I could barely ever focus or stay awake in class.  It is no wonder- my blood sugar was constantly crashing from all the sugar from breakfast coupled with eating no healthy fats and protein.  I will not even talk about the lunches at school- even worse than breakfast.  I do not blame the kids now a days for being diagnosed with ADD or chronic fatigue.  I fit that category 15 years ago.  Our diets have continued to deteriorate and it is no surprise that the youth as a whole have also.  My biggest problem with public schools and many private schools for that matter are the foods and drinks they serve in the school.  I know that I do not want my son attending a school that has access to soda machines around the clock.  Take out the processed foods and the sugars from the schools and our kids will become smarter and brighter.  That is a great promise and some amazing schools around the country are implementing this healthy feeding strategy.
I do not blame my mother for feeding us poorly.  She was not educated.  She did not have access to the resources and information we do now.  She was following the ads on TV and what her doctor told her- If it is in the grocery store it is ok.
My challenge for everyone for 2012: Do Not Eat Breakfast from a Box. 
NO LIST
Granola Bars
Sugary Cereal
Pop Tarts
Etc...

We all should treat our bodies the way we expect them to perform.  If you want to have a good day- you need to start the day by eating right.  Eat Oatmeal, Yogurt, Whole Milk, Raw Cheese, Eggs, Fruits, or organic toast w/ butter.  Sometimes we will just reheat our leftovers (in the stove) and eat them for breakfast.  Who says it has to be Cereal related at all?  Now homemade granola is another story- that stuff is good and hearty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment