Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Nourishing Soups

"To me, true health is...achieved by following the laws of nature; when you break them, illness results.  Health is not something bestowed on you by beneficient nature at birth; it is achieved and maintained only by active participation in well-defined rules of healthful living... rules which you may be disregarding every day. " Henry Bieler, MD Food is Your Best Medicine (Nourishing Traditions p. 200)

Soups are a great way to nourish the body.  I love adding nutrient dense stock, healthy beef/chicken, and hearty vegetables/grains.  They are perfect for winter time.  It takes Florida a little bit longer to cool off, but when it does I start making soups weekly.  This week I made Potato Leek Soup.  I had a few variations from the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook, but will give you the general guidelines.

Potato Leek Soup
3 leeks, peeled, cleaned and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
6 cups homemade chicken stock
1 cup pima cream or raw cream/ raw whole milk
finely chopped chives for garnish

Saute leeks until soft in butter and olive oil.  Add potatoes and stock, bring to a boil and skim.  Add thyme and simmer until all vegetables are soft.  Let cool.  Puree soup with a handheld blender.  Chill well.  Process in food processor in batched with pima cream until frothy.  Season to taste.  Serve in chilled soup bowls.

My variations:
I added leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving.  I have a Blendtec and I blended the mashed potatoes and cooked leeks (along with half a cooked onion) with 2 cups of fresh raw milk.    I had the chicken stock already warm on the stove and I added the cool elements to the warmed stock.  Then I left it on low for a few minutes and it was perfect.  I like my soup warm and tasty.  I added some grated raw cheese to the top of it with some ground pepper.

This soup is also very economical.  The leftovers will feed my family for the next 1-2 days.  Depending on how much I eat :)  We added steamed broccoli to the boys dish and it gave it a little more texture- which they love.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment